CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2012

From:
Brian Northan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:50:57 -0400

Hi Christophe

"Is is theoretically possible to "break" the diffraction limit with
deconvolution? That is, to get under the classical 200x200x600nm
spot?"

A "spot" or point test can be very deceiving.  It is easy to restore a
point like object to a small size under the classical 200x200x600nm
spot.  For example by over-deconvolving with too many iterations or by
using a PSF that has too large an extent.

(As an aside if you have only one (or sparse) point(s)  you often just
want to identify the location which can be done with sub-diffraction
and sub-voxel accuracy).

Another question is can you separate two points a distance of x, y and
z apart when x,y, and z are close to the resolution limit??

When you reassign the light you should get better contrast between two
points if they are resolvable.   Thus a counting routine should do a
better job detecting the 2 points after deconvolution.  But
deconvolution won't separate 2 points with separation smaller than the
limit.   (So Ideally deconvolution algorithms should be evaluated
using at least a 2 point test and not a spot test.)

So to answer your question why deconvolve??  To get better contrast
between structure leading to better measurement of structure (Though
more work could be done on objectively quantifying the benefits of
deconvolution on measurements relevant to biology, especially "barely
resolvable" structure).

Another way to look at it is as follows: If you didn't deconvolve you
would have to integrate more knowledge of the blurring process into
counting and segmentation routines.  It is cleaner to do these steps
separately.

Brian