CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2013

From:
Michael Schell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:54:07 -0500

Reducing with borohydride after glut fixation reduces the double-bonds that form between glutaraldehyde and amine groups in the tissue.  As Martin just posted, this treatment reduces tissue autofluorescence  (but often does not eliminate it completely) .

In addition, reducing those bonds changes antigenticity--usually for the better.  Many immunogens are injected in their reduced form, so you aim to recreate that shape i the tissue by reducing it too.  Some "background" antigenicity may be due to double bond-containing epitopes, so you want to eliminate those.  Thirdly, permeability/penetration of the tissue is somewhat improved because the reduced bonds can rotate.

Michael