CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2013

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:25:02 -0500

Dear Confocal Listserv,

The January 3, 2013 Nature has two editorials of interest. the first is
on ORCID:

http://www.orcid.org/

"And here is where last year's launch of the Open Researcher and
Contributor ID (ORCID) facility is to be welcomed. The core function of
ORCID --- a community collaboration (see go.nature.com/sy3qnp) --- is to
assign every researcher a number and a web page, thereby providing a
unique identifier and so disambiguation. The web page enables the
researcher to record their contributions: papers they have published and
--- a facility to come --- their research grants and patents. Nature
journals authors can link their ORCID to their account in our manuscript
submission and tracking system, and we will soon be publishing authors'
ORCIDs in papers. (Readers can register for ORCID here:
https://orcid.org/register; see also Nature 485, 564; 2012.) ... That is
why Nature and the Nature journals have introduced two ways in which
referees can be given credit. Any referee who, in a given year, has
refereed three or more papers for any of the journals will receive a
letter acknowledging their contribution and a free subscription to their
choice of one of the journals."

My ORCID is 0000-0003-4155-0976

I will add my ORCID to my NIH Biosketch. I already crosslinked my ORCID
page with my linkedin profile   www.linkedin.com/in/georgemcnamara

***

The second - likely more important! - is on lab safety:

"one-third of scientists say that safety is more important to them than
it is to their colleagues, with only  2% voting the other way. Although
most respondents say that their labs are safe places to work, they
simultaneously report behaviour, such as frequent lone working, that
seems to belie that confidence ...  almost half the respondents reported
being injured in the lab"

Which reminds me: "Do not look at laser with remaining eye!".

Happy 2013,

George

p.s. I don't know if this web links to the Nature Editorial will work
for everyone (good luck)

http://www.nature.com/news/in-search-of-credit-1.12117

http://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/1.12117!/menu/main/topColumns/topLeftColumn/pdf/493005a.pdf