CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2013

From:
Tim Feinstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 10:24:55 -0500

Hi all,

Random compliance inspections for data storage seem to be vanishingly rare.  I would suggest a much greater concern that original data could prove essential to resolving questions of misconduct, erratum corrections ets.  Journals increasingly follow the lead of JCB and perform manipulation tests on most or all submitted work, and researchers who have not memorized which journal forbids which acts (that is to say, most people) will very badly want their original stuff in case of trouble.  People without their original(ish) data could have a publication rejected or catastrophically delayed or, worse, retracted.  For want of a nail, etc.

IMO it is a huge risk to get rid of unmodified data and the NIH is trying to help people avoid trouble.  The (decreasing) cost of data storage is annoying but also a sometimes helpful corrective against performing experiments with unnecessary complexity (a real temptation when many scopes can perform multicolor Z series at or near video rate).  In cases where complexity is very much necessary it seems to me that even a decent RAID array costs not so much next to the imaging system it is meant to support.

All the best,

TF

Timothy Feinstein, PhD
Visiting Research Associate
Laboratory for GPCR Biology
Dept. of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology
University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine
BST W1301, 200 Lothrop St.
Pittsburgh, PA  15261