CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2013

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 18:29:16 -0500

) Hi Kevin,

Thanks for referencing my former colleagues at ASI. I also recommend
Yuval and my 2006 review at
DOI: 10.1002/cyto.a.20311
and perusal of other articles (including Carl Boswell and I) in the rest
of the 2006 spectral imaging issue
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cyto.a.v69a:8/issuetoc
(back issues of Cytometry are free online).

As for 5 colors (actually 6 with a separate filter cube for DAPI), the
ASI SKY system has about 800 references:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=spectral%20karyotyp*

using (essentially) Alexa Fluor 488, Alexa Fluor 555, Alexa Fluor 594
(or Texas Red), Cy5 (or Alexa fluor 647), Cy5.5

With the same instrument Tsurui et al 2007 (
PMID:
10769049) acquired seven colors (but with 3 filter cubes):
Alexa488 and Alexa532, for Alexa546, Alexa568, and Alexa594, and for Cy5
and Cy5.5.

Not that I would buy a SKY instrument for one experiment (though my
former colleagues at CHLA might be willing to sell theirs).

If I wanted to buy a new instrument, I would contact Jeremy Lerner at
LightForm Inc, http://www.lightforminc.com/ to order a PARISS with solid
state lighting (I would go for a Lumencor SPECTRA X) and excitation slit
(ideally some light output from the X to closely match the slit). This
would result in a pretty sweet linescan confocal (ditch the disc) -
Jeremy routinely puts on a motorized stage for "pushbroom" acquisition.

If you want to go fast, Keith Lidke (UNM), updated from an earlier
Sandia National Labs clone of Jeremy's PARISS, have developed a fast
scanning module - see the "Hyperspectral Microscope Layout" page at
http://www.systemscenters.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/nm-ncbs-aug-8-11-lidke.pdf
Not clear from that presentation, but Keith is tracking 8 colors quantum
dots at 30 fps with his instrument (single excitation, 30 full field
spectral images per sec).

***

A little chemistry can also go a long way ... if certain colors are NOT
being colocalized, you could buy or make a FRET construct. Alan Waggoner
had a presentation circa 1996 (a CSHL immunocytochemistry course) with
nearly 100% FRET from Cy3 to Cy5. Likewise in the FP world, Miyawaki
published CY11.5 with nearly 100% FRET, and CyPet-YPet was almost as
high due to non-covalent heterodimerization.

Of course most core facility confocal microscopes (the Leica SP5's and
Zeiss LSM710's I manage for examples) have 405, 458, 488, 561, 594, and
633 nm lasers - can excite different dyes (or FPs) with each.

Getting better resolution out of existing (point scanning) confocals ...
See  PMID 23361088 ("3B" ImageJ plugin, only just obtained the plugin,
have not had time to get it running on my PC - some file location issue
I have not figured out yet) and 22357945 (Munck PiMP ImageJ plugin ...
but you'll need the plugin file locally, not the silly VIB Citrix
server, to do PiMP usefully). I've done two color PiMP - works great
(SP5 or LSM710, plan apo 63x/1.4NA, 30 nm pixel size, filter size = 1.6,
16-bit output). Ther is a non-linear step (Rainer Heintzmann came up
with that critical idea), so don't bother with intensity quantitation
(thresholding and counting pixels should be fine).

George
p.s. best wishes with the controls. Unlikely I would be a reviewer (and
don't suggest me!), but I would expect to see proof that both your
"single marker' and your FMOs (fluorescence minus one) controls worked well.