CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

From:
"Scott, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:20:47 +0000

Dear Arvydas,

Obviously a lot will depend on the software packages you plan to run, but in my experience Linux seems to cope better with heavy processing tasks on large data sets than Windows traditionally does, i'm sure someone with more knowledge of the inner workings of this may be able to shed light on it but it seems to me that  Ubuntu (and Suse which i've used in the past) utilise multiple cores a lot better than Windows but perhaps i'm just stretching.

The best thing to do would be to dual boot a PC and have both Windows AND Ubuntu running and test them out for your needs.   I would be very keen to hear how the results go since i'm only running Ubuntu under VMWare rather than dual booting it.

Thanks
Mark