CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

From:
Casey Laris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:12:03 -0700

I've been using many of these systems lately. I do use the slide scanners in a commercial setting but have no commercial interest in selling them.

Some quick thoughts on the systems I see routinely:

- Pannoramic Scan. Perkin Elmer. 150 slide loader. I think they have a 250 version now. Fluor/Brightfield. Probably the most complete system from ease of use to robustness and analysis. It is the one we use most. Very flexible. Solid images. I like where they are going with a lot of their stuff too. A clean iPad app, online hosting etc… Reasonably capable free viewer for the mrxs files.
- Nanozoomer HT. 210 slide loader. Fluor/Brightfield. They claim '40X' but it is effectively a 2X zoom in front of the camera on the single objective in the system. Not a big deal but you should be aware of the type of image coming off the system. Probably has the best walk-away capability and great flexibility/speed for walk-away acquisition. The analysis I've seen is weak. You'll almost definitely get things analyzed with other software.  It has a nice feature for group settings where you can interrupt a large batch of slides to do an independent 2nd batch of slides without losing your progress on the first batch. Great for squeezing in 1 or 2 slides when a batch 200 are already running… Free viewer for the ndpi files.
- Aperio probably has the biggest install/user base. These systems work well enough but I wouldn't pick them above either the Nanozoomer or Perkin Elmer systems at this point. They do have a nice free viewer that supports many of the competing formats from their svs to ndpi, mrxs etc.
- Huron. I haven't used these systems myself but have seen a fair number of images from their system. The image quality is very nice and they are great for large samples. Scanning an 8 inch x 6 inch slide is amazing if you have the need.

Automated whole slide capabilities are being added to more and more standard microscope and HCS systems of course too. Your degree of convenience/scripting/customization will vary with each of course.

Best wishes,

Casey