CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

From:
Stephen Cody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2013 10:31:52 +1100

G'day Adam,

I've posted a link to a pdf which shows my setup. I have used gravity for
the drip feed, and peristaltic pumps for the scavenge system. Also I setup
a manual syringe for manual additions for short term (eg. 2 hour)
experiments .

More recently I use the "house" vacuum supply and a water trap for the
scavenge. My system uses poly vinyl tubing as the "moat" and holder for the
tubes, I think this is easier and a bit safer than brass rings that the
commercial systems have adapted from my original idea. A national hardware
chain in Australia sell very short lengths of tubing (70mm in length) in
various diameters, to act as joiners for tubing sold by the meter. This is
a great way to get a collection of different diameter tubing. Another trick
taught to me by my friend (the late Robin Cole) is that if the tubing is
just a little to loose, you can make it smaller by using a hose clamp
(obviously its not on an objective). Tighten the metal hose clamp. heat the
tubing and hose clamp with a heat gun. Remove heat and allow to cool. Once
cool you can remove the clamp and the tubing will now be a smaller diameter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyzxfc7mvl1m1qf/Cody_Lens_re-watering_system_post.pdf

I scanned this pdf for viruses before posting.

Cheers
Steve