CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

From:
Julio Vazquez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 09:07:07 -0800

You may want to have a look at some of the digital pathology systems out there. We have one from an Austrain company (Tissuegnostics; Google them if you want to see their products), but many other vendors (Zeiss, Leica, etc..) offer similar products. The system is designed to scan slides (our stage can take eight, but there are automated systems for high throughput). System will autofocus, find objects (assuming good samples) and image them. Typicaly, these are used to scan tissue sections, but we have done smears, TMA slides, etc....  System cam be used in fluorescence or brightfield mode. Some systems are designed for routine scanning and digitization of slides; ours is more flexible in teh sense we can use any fluorescence filter, objective, etc, to suit our needs. This company has some videos on thier web site. Most of this stuff can be done with a standard Research microscope, using laser autofocus, image-based autofocus, or a combination of both, and the multi-location/tiling capabilities of most current acquisition software. Digital Pathology systems are just optimized for this kind of stuff. Maybe you can get a couple of vendors to run a demo for you.
--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

http://www.fhcrc.org