CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2013

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2013 11:39:43 -0500

Hi Martin,

Sequential acquisition of fluorophores that can be excited at the same
wavelength is silly. On a multi-detector microscope like most point
scanning confocal microscopes, such as Leica SP5/SP8 (preferably with
HyD's) or Zeiss LSM780, the user has 5 (SP#) or up to 34 (LSM710 or 780,
2 standard PMTs, 32 channel spectral detector ... on 780 with GaAsP
spectral detector one would probably just use that). To take a simple
scenario, with the following three FPs,

mTFP1 ("Teal")
CY11.5 (Cyan-Venus high FRET; see S.S. Vogel papers for a series of CY
fusions with different FRET efficiencies)
mBeRFP (446ex, 615em), published in Yang et al 2013 PLoS One
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0064849

one could sequentially excite at 458 nm (Argon ion laser), or 440 or 436
nm (other light sources), with single channel acquisition - as I quoted
previously. However, all three fluorophores (or even more with Vogel's
C-Y series) are going to emit and/or photobleach. So, if you have enough
detectors, best to acquire simultaneously.

***

One should pay attention to details when imaging, whether point scanning
confocal or widefield. For example, Krylova et al 2013 PLoS One
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0063286
imaged four FP-FP dimers (in different cells) with single excitation:
mCherry-nls-mCherry
mRaspberry-nls-mRaspberry
mKate2-nls-mKate2
mPlum-nls-mPlum     (note: mPlum's are dim, they would have been better
off with mPlum-mPlum-mPlum(etc), Steve Vogel has gone up to Venus 6 [V6]).
My kudos to them for approximately doubling the brightness of each
protein by using tandem dimers (though tdTomato might have been a better
choice).

Krylova et al used a widefield microscope, 575/15 ex filter (593
dichroic) with 655/40 [635-675nm]  and 628/40 [608-648 nm] exciters.
Their figure 4 shows the two emission filters overlap in the range of
635-648 nm (bandpass interference filters are not absolutely vertical
cut on/off, but close enough). They would have been better with
non-overlapping emission bands (and two cameras would have been nice for
simultaneous acquisition). An optimal emission filter would be about
$150, a lot less than the publication charges for PLoS One or authors
time to work on this project. Ms. Vinita Popat, a summer student working
in our lab, calculated for me that 600-630 nm for the short wavelenghth
emission filter, and 630LP would be the optimal pair (under the
simplifying assumption that each FP is equally bright ... as noted
above, mPlum could have improved performance with a higher order multimer).

***

I recently (re)read a very nice paper from Richard Neher et al, showing
advantages to using two or more EXCITATION wavelengths - sequentially -
with the same emission bands, to obtain additional information (2x more
images, "multiple excitations greatly facilitate the decomposition").

    Neher RA, Mitkovski M, Kirchhoff F, Neher E, Theis FJ, Zeug A 2009
    Blind source separation techniques for the decomposition of multiply
    labeled fluorescence images. </pubmed/19413985> Biophys J. 96:
    3791-800. doi: 10.1016/j.bpj.2008.10.068.

    PMID: 19413985
    http://www.cell.com/biophysj/retrieve/pii/S0006349509000927

    Methods of blind source separation are used in many contexts to
    separate composite data sets according to their sources. Multiply
    labeled fluorescence microscopy images represent such sets, in which
    the sources are the individual labels. Their distributions are the
    quantities of interest and have to be extracted from the images.
    This is often challenging, since the recorded emission spectra of
    fluorescent dyes are environment- and instrument-specific. We have
    developed a nonnegative matrix factorization (NMF) algorithm to
    detect and separate spectrally distinct components of multiply
    labeled fluorescence images. It operates on spectrally resolved
    images and delivers both the emission spectra of the identified
    components and images of their abundance. We tested the proposed
    method using biological samples labeled with up to four spectrally
    overlapping fluorescent labels. In most cases, NMF accurately
    decomposed the images into contributions of individual dyes.
    However, the solutions are not unique when spectra overlap strongly
    or when images are diffuse in their structure. To arrive at
    satisfactory results in such cases, we extended NMF to incorporate
    preexisting qualitative knowledge about spectra and label
    distributions. We show how data acquired through excitations at two
    or three different wavelengths can be integrated and that multiple
    excitations greatly facilitate the decomposition. By allowing
    reliable decomposition in cases where the spectra of the individual
    labels are not known or are known only inaccurately, the proposed
    algorithms greatly extend the range of questions that can be
    addressed with quantitative microscopy.

ImageJ plugins at
http://www.mh-hannover.de/cellneurophys/poissonNMF/NMF/

I hope vendors start including this capability. I do wish Prof. Neher
had chosen a less mathematically smelly word than decomposition - one
reason I prefer to call this spectral unmixing.

Enjoy,

George

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.