CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2013

From:
Andreas Bruckbauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:03:03 -0400

While the paper is certainly very theoretical, it actually contains two images from experiments! One is a double slit experiment resolved in the 'SIM imaging' but not resolved in conventional imaging, the other a single slit. While not microscopy, I find it astonishing that they got it to work.

There is also an abstract in english at the end of the paper (and a french one):

It is known that diffraction sets an upper limit to the resolving power of an optical
system or, put more precisely, to the band-width of spatial frequencies that the system can
transmit.
A new method is described for obtaining optical images with a resolution exceeding the
limits set by diffraction. The optical system itself is not modified, but a mask, or the image
of a mask formed by projection is introduced in or near to the object plane. This mask
has a variable transmission (for example a grating), and is movable in the object field. A
second similar mask is introduced in or near to the image plane, or the plane of an intermediate
image, and is moved conjugately with the object plane mask. The image obtained
during the scanning by the masks is integrated in time by a receptor of suitable inertia
(for example, the eye, or a photographic emulsion).
There results art image of the object with enhanced resolution and contrast (the bandwidth
of the transmitted spatial frequencies is increased, and the frequency response is
raised).
The method may be used with coherent, partially coherent or incoherent illumination.
Its method of operation and imaging properties are described.