CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2013

From:
Jeremy Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremy Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2013 07:27:20 -0700
A PhD student who uses my facility complains that
she

Dear Listers,

A PhD student who uses my facility complains that
she cannot fuse the two images seen through a binocular head into one image.

I have measured
her inter-ocular distance, and set this on the (Siedentopf) binocular heads of
various microscopes. I have also checked which is her dominant eye and asked
whether she has astigmatism, which she does not have. She is not old enough to
suffer from presbyopia, but is myopic in both eyes (-2,5D) and so wears contact
lenses.

The strange thing is, she has absolutely no
problem with using binoculars or monocular spotting ‘scopes, just binocular
microscopes. I’ve got her to use and adjust four different binoculars and
monocular telescopes, and she can see distant images perfectly with these and fuse them into one field of view.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be so?
This young lady has to use stereo-microscopes in her work, and we’re struggling
to find answers to help her do this.

Best regards,
Jeremy