CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2013

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:46:00 -0500

See also the Photonics Spectra article at

http://photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=55023

      Laser safety: A university perspective

    Nearly every genre of scientific research has a niche where the
    laser is used. And, much as radioactive materials have transitioned
    from physics to biology, laser research techniques are invading
    arenas of science not traditionally seen as "laser territory." In
    addition to broader research applications, the increases in quality,
    variety, flexibility, efficiency, tuning and power have all
    improved, while costs have come down. These changes have drastically
    reshaped the use of lasers at research universities.
    The PI must be aware of how work is done in the lab and cannot
    assume that his or her initial instructions are being carried out
    safely. The PI should periodically verify that the lab hazards are
    adequately controlled. Young research students attending graduate
    school require more guidance and greater oversight to ensure safe
    work conditions. The liability to the school and PI for a student
    injury is much greater than for a similar incident with a seasoned
    research scientist.
    In a case of injury or fatality, as with the accidental death of
    Sheri Sangji in a university chemistry lab, the university and the
    PI could be held criminally liable for lack of oversight in the
    operations of their labs.
    The lesson here is that all lab personnel, beginning with the PI,
    must supply the up-front effort to implement safety in research
    processes.
    As the PI incorporates laser safety into the research lab, the LSO
    must respond with professional guidance and prompt assistance. If
    the LSO is not able to perform these functions properly, the PI will
    avoid working with the LSO and implement his own controls, which may
    be insufficient. Management can assist the safety process by
    providing the LSO with resources to respond to the PI's needs
    effectively.

    /R. DeWayne Holcomb, CHP, CLSO/
    /University of Texas at Austin/
    //

/
**
I disagree with the author's statement:
/

    /"/The liability to the school and PI for a student injury is much
    greater than for a similar incident with a seasoned research
    scientist./"/
    //

/and not just because I am a seasoned (possibly overcooked) research
scientist.
/
I do encourage everyone on the listserv to read the entire article (go
to the web page). Also keep in mind that even if your lab or core is
perfect, there is no reason to think any of your colleagues are safe -
whether lasers, chemicals, or biologicals.

best wishes,

George

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.