CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2013 06:18:34 +0000
The confocal psf is not the product of excitation and emission psfs unless the pinhole is very small (much less than 1 Airy unit).  In normal use (pinhole at 1 Airy) it is just the excitation psf.  So it will actually be quite similar to the 2p one.  (At 800nm Rayleigh resolution is ~350nm and 350/1.4 gives ~250nm.)

I agree with an earlier correspondent that the greater background is almost certainly due to the fact that 2p excitation spectra tend to be broader than 1p ones.  If so it should be possible eliminate it by a more selective detection filter.

                                            Guy