CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2014

From:
Kurt Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 10:39:07 -0800

Hi Shalin -

I've done some qualitative investigations of this on our microscopes,
and you can access information beyond the nominal field number of the
microscope.  The vignetting seems to mostly occur in the C-mount and
camera adapter, so if you remove these you can get a bigger image.  See
http://nic.ucsf.edu/blog/?p=108 for some details.

However, there's no guarantee what the performance of the objective
beyond the nominal field number will be.  In particular, the NA may be
lower, there may be problems with field curvature and there will likely
be aberrations.  In fact, even at the periphery of the nominal objective
FOV the point spread functions are more aberrated - see
http://nic.ucsf.edu/blog/?p=770

I hope that helps.

Kurt

--