CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2014

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:39:20 -0400

Zulin,

I recall going down this path before. I looked very hard to find other companies that could make long focal length cylindrical lenses, but I think CVI IS the only company that makes them with a 10m focal length and this only comes in a square 2" format.

If you really need it to be 1" diameter, you could buy the lens and then have another company core it down to a 1" diameter, but doing this as a one-off will be expensive. Light Machinery (no commercial interest) would be able to do this kind of operation.

The alternative approach to your situation is to change the location that the cylindrical lens inserts into the optical path. Putting the lens in infinity space of the microscope requires long focal lengths like 10m. However, you could also place the lens near the camera (as is done in most commercial systems) in which case the required focal length of the cylindrical lens drops down to 500mm to 1000mm range to yield the right amount of astigmatism over an ~1-2um focus change of the objective lens (the relationship between the cylindrical lens focal length and usable focus range depends on the objective magnification and NA). There are many optics companies that offer shorter focal length cylindrical lenses like these.

Cheers,

John Oreopoulos
Staff Scientist
Spectral Applied Research