CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2014

From:
Andrew York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 19:04:29 -0400

 This is great! I didn't know there were good, fast detectors with just a
few pixels. I wonder what they used, and if they're for sale? If the
detector gives pixels per second and noise similar to a decent camera, this
could be a really nice scope.

 I'm also curious about their deconvolution algorithm. It sounds like it
might be similar to Maria's approach (
http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cphc.201300831 , figure 3), or maybe just
separate deconvolution and averaging of each individual "pinhole"? If you
want to do this fast and well, you almost certainly need tons of
parallelization.

Related:
 There seems to be disagreement if (ISM/msim/instant sim/rescan
confocal/OPRA/etc) improves axial resolution. This is actually a fun
question, and I think the answer is, surprisingly, "it depends on the
detailed shape of your excitation and emission PSFs".

 It's clear the (sheppard/meuller/york/de luca/roth) trick of scaling the
image of the laser spot relative to the final image doesn't change
(physical) sectioning*: all the light that passes the (macro)pinhole hits
the detector, whether or not you scale the image of the laser spot. The
interesting question is: does the scaling trick cause the image of a bead
to diverge any faster as you defocus in Z? If it does, your axial
resolution is better, even if your sectioning is the same**.

 Suppose your emission and excitation PSF both look like Gaussian beams
(even though they probably don't). If so, Enderlein's analysis holds,
whether or not the beads are in focus, and the scaling trick gives the same
lateral resolution improvement regardless of defocus. If out-of-focus beads
are sharpened just as much as in-focus beads, the bead images don't diverge
any faster or slower compared to normal confocal - meaning no improvement
in axial resolution.

 However, suppose your emission or excitation PSFs only resemble Gaussian
spots when they're in focus. Then, Enderlein's analysis fails when the
beads are not in focus, and the scaling trick won't work as well for
out-of-focus beads. This means the bead images diverge faster, compared to
normal confocal - and your axial resolution is improved!

 Anyhow, happy to see the field moving along, eager to hear more details
about Zeiss's scope as they become available.

* By "sectioning", I mean the ability to resolve two closely spaced thin
uniform fluorescent z-planes. By "physical sectioning", I mean rejecting
the noise from out-of-focus light like a confocal, not subtracting off the
signal and leaving the noise like an apotome.
** By "axial resolution", I mean, the ability to resolve two closely spaced
fluorescent beads in Z.