CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2015

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:42:49 -0600

Hi Jeff,

See       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_field_microscopy

John O cited:

Vainrub, A., O. Pustovyy, and V. Vodyanoy, Resolution of 90 nm (lambda/5) in an optical transmission microscope with an annular condenser. Optics Letters, 2006. 31(19): p. 2855-2857.

This is the CytoViva adapter - mnore on that at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CytoViva,_Inc
http://www.cytoviva.com/products/microscopy-2/cytoviva-optical-performance/
http://www.cytoviva.com/wp-content/documents/CytoViva-Use-Manual-5-7-09.pdf

Vainrub and CytoViva confuse "resolution' with "detection".

See also http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23520500

PubMed search for:     "darkfield microscopy"    (with quotes) turned up
194 hits, going back to 1926 - many of the early papers are on venereal
diseases, before microtubules start appearing in 1979,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/511939 (wow - a biochem dept with a
light microscope).

Many microscopes phase contrast turrets include a darkfield position ...
also deliberately mismatching the objective lens and phase ring can get
pretty good darkfield (sometimes helps to tweak condenser focus). 40x or
higher objective lens with PhL condenser phase ring as one potential
combination.

Biggest problem: any dust anywhere in the entire optical path also
scatters into the detection path. some of the dust is not (readily)
accessible. Speaking of which - on inverted scopes I tape either a 50x50
mm neutral density filter(s) or a glass slide (or large glass coverslip)
over the opening at the top of the condenser - decreases dust
accumulation inside the condenser. Also lets me operate the tungsten
bulb at a higher voltage of more stable output (I am looking forward to
going to LEDs in the future).

Enjoy,
George

--