CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2015

From:
"Maria Y. Boulina" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2015 09:30:37 -0500

Folks,

I need your advice on what to do with a manuscript. The story is, we have been working
on a quantification protocol for a while with a student on her large-scale imaging project.
We spent some brain power on it, so at the end, we have decided to publish it as a small
methods paper. the novelty of our approach was applying the Nyquist sampling rate to
the target object size, rather than the confocal system output AND adequate post-
processing. we have shown that 1)our suggested algorithm works well in terms of
preserving the number of counts acquired, compared to higher sampling rates; and allows
to  keep image size/sampling density/imaging time about several fold lower than you
would do standard 2)if you neglect proper sampling rates (linked to the object size!) or
skip processing, your results suck.

we have sent the paper to two journals, and received three sets of comments

reviewer 1: overall correct, but...nothing new .. AND(!!)... In many studies,
photobleaching is a major determinant of the spatial sampling rate to use

other journal

reviewer 2:
..a pipeline for speckle counting on the CellProfiler example page that seems relevant...
and..the use of passive voice throughout makes it a difficult and dry read..

reviewer 3:

The authors fail to demonstrate that using this method increases the accuracy of their
quantitation (We were aiming at preserving the accuracy and minimizing the effort!!).

This method is not broadly applicable (???, almost  every lab has to quantify images).

My main idea behind submitting the manuscript was, that its always nice to have an
example of a working protocol, and sampling rate is something often neglected (see
comments from reviewer 1). I have seen tons of very smart grad students, who need to
do quantification, but end up performing manual counting on their images, since adapting
existing protocols is beyond their available effort. On the other hand, I am personally not
qualified to go deep into physics and math behind sampling according to the PSF of the
system vs sampling based on object density. However, I know that sampling below
Nyquist is hot in medical imaging field now.

I can not publish the full method within the main paper from the study. Quit? Try other
microscopy journals? Publish on the Core's webpage?