CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2015

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2015 07:29:27 -0500

Hi Gabor,

Olympus also offers CARS commercially, using DeepSea laser (in the US
and Canada, anyway). Try to have both transmitted and epi detectors -
both have uses (and you could replce the standard condenser with another
objective lens, if desired).

http://www.olympus-lifescience.com/en/laser-scanning/fv1200mpe/femtocars/
The femtoCARS equipped FV1200MPE provides a label-free lipid imaging
capability based on molecular vibrations using the Coherent Anti-Stokes
Raman Scattering (CARS) microscopy method. In the Olympus design, the
CARS imaging mode can be combined with two photon excitation
fluorescence (TPEF) and second harmonic generation (SHG) imaging modes
as a multimodal femtosecond laser imaging station. CARS is one of a
number of intrinsic imaging modes requiring no extrinsic label. Because
it relies on molecular vibrations rather than traditional fluorescence,
there is no photobleaching.

      Summary

    * Simultaneous Lipid (CH2), TPEF, and SHG imaging. The lipid filter
      set is included and TPEF and SHG filter sets are optional.
    * Uses the standard Olympus DeepSee lasers which are specifically
      tuned to match Olympus optical requirements. No additional laser
      is required.
    * The output of the femtoCARS is pre-set to lipid detection.
    * Standard MPE detection system, up to two forward (transmitted) and
      four backward (epi) Non-Descanned Detection channels.
    * Standard MPE imaging (by-pass CARS add-on) and single photon
      imaging are available.
    * The optical delivery system including a laser-safe enclosure is
      provided and serviced by Olympus Scientific  Solutions Americas
    * The overall footprints for MPE with femtoCARS remain small, but
      different from regular MPE systems.
    * Upright platforms are standard. For inverted platform, please
      contact Olympus Scientific Solutions Americas
    * Acousto-optical modulation (AOM) standard for MPE and manual power
      adjustment operation for the Stokes' beam.
    * Dispersion compensation standard for MPE and for efficient Stokes'
      beam generation.

A couple of CAR reviews

http://www.jlr.org/content/51/11/3091.full
This review reported that CARS (or at least CRS) was first reported by
a  car company!:

The phenomenon of coherent Raman scattering was first reported by
scientists at the Ford Motor Co. in 1965 (28
<http://www.jlr.org/content/51/11/3091.full#ref-28>). Since the
introduction in the early 1970s (29
<http://www.jlr.org/content/51/11/3091.full#ref-29>), CARS spectroscopy
has been widely used as a spectroscopic tool (30
<http://www.jlr.org/content/51/11/3091.full#ref-30>). The first
application of CARS to imaging was demonstrated in 1982 with a
noncollinear beam geometry by scientists at the Naval Research
Laboratory (31 <http://www.jlr.org/content/51/11/3091.full#ref-31>).
Nearly two decades later, CARS microscopy was revisited with a collinear
beam configuration at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in 1999
(32 <http://www.jlr.org/content/51/11/3091.full#ref-32>). Since then,
the CARS renaissance has stimulated further development and applications
by researchers from broad scientific disciplines. Continuous
contributions from many research groups over the last decade have vastly
improved the design, stability, and sensitivity of CARS microscopy [for
reviews, see (18 <http://www.jlr.org/content/51/11/3091.full#ref-18>, 23
<http://www.jlr.org/content/51/11/3091.full#ref-23>--25
<http://www.jlr.org/content/51/11/3091.full#ref-25>)].

http://www.chem.uci.edu/~potma/AlbaJBO14.pdf
I liked their figure 6, but why did they just go hyperspectral? If you
go spectral, I suggest branding it super-duper-hyper-multi-spectral
coherent anti-Stokes Raman super-duper resolution nanoscopy.

best wishes,

George

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.