CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2015

From:
Reto Fiolka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:03:27 -0500

Hi Dale

While I agree with Craig and Pascal that with shorter laser pulses you have to be more
careful about dispersion, I do not think that you need the autocorrelator that Pascal
mentioned.

Since a prism compressor can only compensate GVD, it is sufficient to just optimize the
signal you get from a dye solution under 2 photon excitation under your microscope while
tuning the compressor.

I wonder though how the APE device works, is that a nonlinear autocorrelator? It is tough to
analyze a laser pulse just by its autocorrelation, as you do not have the spectral phase
information and many different pulse profiles can have the same autocorrelation. To really
diagnose dispersion, you would need the spectral phase, which to my knowledge only FROG
and SPIDER can give you for ultrafast pulses (commercially available, at least).

Best,
Reto