CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2015

From:
Martin Wessendorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 2015 11:08:29 -0500

Dear List--

I'm a newbie to TIRF microscopy and have a question. Using our Zeiss
TIRF 'scope, I can often clearly image structures in my biological prep
(cultured cells) that are in a deeper focal plane than the cover slip.
This is true even using fairly high TIRF angles (e.g. 80 degrees).

Using TIRF, I would expect that only one focal plane would be visible:
the plane in contact with the cover slip.  This mostly appears to be the
case when I'm imaging a dilution of fluorescent beads: using epi
illumination, I can see beads throughout the thickness of the sample
whereas using TIRF illumination, I can only see those beads that are
stuck to the cover slip, or that transiently diffuse close enough to the
coverslip that they flicker into appearance for a moment or two.
However, if clumps of beads have aggregated and are in contact with the
cover slip, I can image these beyond the plane of the cover
slip--sometimes a micron or more beyond.

Anyone got an explanation for how this occurs?  Light piping?  Are some
structures just so bright that the evanescent wave is able to excite
them, even at that distance?

Thanks!

Martin Wessendorf

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991