CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1993

Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1993 16:42:49 -0700

> Hello there!!...anybody, who knows a lot of laseroptics
> and Biorad's MRC's.
> We have here a MRC 600 with the laser directly mounted on the scanbox.
> I like to know the pro's and con's of using fiberoptic as transmission
> for the laserbeam.Is it easy done?
> When it is done, is it possible then to change to another lasere fiber to the ot
>    her laser?
> Do you need more laserpower, when using fiberoptic?
> Is ther a restiction to the length of the fiber you are using,that with respect
>    where the laserunit has been installed.
> At the moment we are using a argon-laser of 25 mW. It would be convenient
> when you can change to another laser only by reconnecting the fiber.

Our Bio-Rad has a krypton/argon laser directly mounted to the scan box as
well as a fiber optic attachment for the argon laser. We have had a number
of problems with the fiber optic connection but after 2 years it seems to be
working well. It isn't easily done and can't easily be used to swap out
lasers. We are using a 100 mW argon laser as it has a stronger 457 line than
does the 25 mW laser.(We use the argon laser for Lucifer yellow and the k/a
for everything else). There is also approximately a 60% loss through the
fiber optic cable.  You also have align the cable and the adjust the signal
through a beam combiner. The polarization of the light has to be adjusted
through the beam combiner with a light meter. We have also had to replace
the fiber optic connection approximately every 6 months.  The big advantage
is that we have a far superior signal for Lucifer yellow and the versatility
of a krypton/argon laser with the push of a button.

--
Patty Jansma                                    Tel:602-621-6671
Arizona Research Labs Division of Neurobiology