CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1994

From:
"J. Paul Robinson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 1994 10:27:46 -0500
Over the past few weeks there have been a number of discussions about
what particular companies are, or are not supporting, releasing,
upgrading, etc. with regard to confocal scopes and software. Many
questions, but not many answers.

There has also been a fairly strong response from members of this
group (in the past) toward commercial interests taking advantage of
this "Holy See" of communication (ie. this user group).

I run a similar group in flow cytometry and we have consistently
encourage companies to answer problems directly rather than have
users air their dirty washing without some reply or feedback from the
company concerned. Clearly a company does not want to enter into
a "slinging match" and nor do I. What I do want is someone from a
particular company to make responsible answers, suggestions to users
problems, and to be as informative and responsive as possible.
Sometimes users have better solutions, and these come our
clearly, but I think that it is reasonable that companies should be
able, encouraged in fact, to respond to criticism/problems directly.

We all know that each company monitors this list closely. I think
that it is time to encourage them to respond in constructive,
and informative ways. Have we scared them off from responding and
taking responsibility? We have already beaten the hell out of one
company who was perceived to use the list for commercial gain. If we
don't allow and encourage companies to respond, we have achieved
little when be attack a company for their action, or lack thereof!

The question is, will any of the companies be prepared to face this
fearless band of users head on? I for one, hope so!

Paul Robinson
Professor of Immunopharmacology

J.Paul Robinson, Purdue University Cytometry Labs