CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1995

From:
Charles Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 1995 16:40:48 +0000
>There are the things in the COMOS program that drive me nuts. For example
>the menu handling of toggle selections (Hold LUTS, for example) that cause
>the pull-down menu to disappear rather than allowing further selections,
>and the Z-series sub-menu that doesn't allow you to turn on the focus
>motor (from that menu) when it finds that you have left it off, seem like
>very simple things that just aren't "nice" the way they currently work.

Since there's already been talk here of the MRC-1000 and 1024...

I'd like to say that I had the opportunity to put the new Zeiss confocal
microscope through its paces at the recent ASCB meeting in San Francisco,
and I'll tell you what, boys and girls... they have some darned well
thought-out software.

All those little things that don't make any sense about the software we
currently use have been re-thought fixed and implemented in a slick package
that really works well.  The only drawback is that you pretty much have to
use it on a Zeiss microscope... bummer if you're a Nikon-phile like we are
here.

I'd recommend checking out the Zeiss microscope to anyone thinking of
purchasing a confocal in '95.

--
Charles Thomas                                  USPA Licence A-19548
Integrated Microscopy Resource

"I'd rather be skydiving..."

Q: "Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"
A: "Because the door was open."