CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1995

From:
David Berk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:31:59 EST
> From @BROWNVM.brown.edu:[log in to unmask] Fri Feb 17 17:23:43 1995
> A researcher in our department wants to use a motorized xy stage on a confocal
>  microscope (in combination with an xz motor) to collect data for 3D
> reconstructions.
> This would involve collecting four areas per embryo and making a montage
> to get the entire embryo. One of her concerns is finding a high quality
> low power objective (to avoid any distortion). Has anyone evaluated 10X
> or 20X plan-apo objectives from different manufacturers?

  I don't have any information about low power objectives, but I'm interested
in seeing the response to this question because I'd also like to do optical
sectioning at low magnification.  From my understanding of optics and my
limited experience with confocal microscopes I thought that with low NA
objectives there is very little advantage to confocal illumination.  Has
anyone documented the actual improvements in axial or lateral resolution with
low NA objectives?

David Berk
Mass. General Hospital
Boston MA