CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1995

From:
Paul Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 12:17:53 -0800
Hey folks-

In talking with Jim Pawley the other day, the issue of resolution came
up. For years I have used the classic definition of resolution, i.e.-
x,y,and z 1/2's. This is a measure of how close can two objects be in
x,y,and z and still maintain half of the maximum signal intensity between
them. Jim didn't think that this method was well suited for electronic
imaging. I can see his point and  I wonder if anyone else is using a more
viable definition. Basically, we are trying to compare deconvolution
methods to confocal and I would like to find some standards for
sensitivity and resolution that most players can agree upon.

Paul Goodwin
Image Analysis Lab
FHCRC, Seattle, WA