CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1995

From:
Kris Kavanau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 1995 12:19:53 PST
                      Subject:                              Time:  9:45 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Help:  Glass/FM Stds.                 Date:  2/3/95
Dear Microscopists,
I am VERY SORRY; I am reposting this message because for some unknown
reason I did not receive any Confocal messages during the past week, and I
had to resubscribe to Confocal.  I do not know if there were any replies,,
but I am having difficulty retrieving anything from the archives.  If there
is anything to resend or forward, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank
you.

Does anyone have any uranyl glass, or know where it might be obtained?  I
have been told that it is no longer manufactured commercially.  It might be
an excellent "generic" fluorescence microscopy control.
Are there any commercially available, pre-mounted fluorescence standards
besides "MultiSpeck" from Molecular Probes?  They are very convenient, but
they are not ideal for our applications as DAPI, fluorescein, and Texas Red
specific controls.  Unfortunately, Flow Cytometry Standards Co. no longer
makes pre-mounted standards.
I have been managing the UCSF core flow and image cytometry facility ("Lab
for Cell Analysis") for 2 years, but I had no real QC for our 2
occasionally used fluorescence microscopes.  Now I need to establish QC
protocols for 6 additional multi-user, computerized fluorescence (one
scanning confocal) microscopes in the "National Molecular Cytogenetics
Resource."  I was surprised that so few standards (and journal references)
seem to be available.
Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very
much.                          Kris Kavanau;  [log in to unmask]