CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 1995

From:
Paul Stoodley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 14:25:21 EST
We have a VAX system which is connected to HP workstations and PC's. We use
a designated 1 GB disk for images so that images can be pulled onto either
the HP's or the PC's. When a particular user has a reasonable amount of data
collected or has a "package" of images related to an experiment we write the
images to a CD-ROM. We do not use compression because we find the images only
compress about 70 - 90 % and since we can get so many on a CD-ROM (0.8 GB) it
is not a problem. As far as marking the CD-ROMs I just print a copy of the
directory tree and put it inside the cover of the CD. However, if I had more
time it would be better to write a more detailed description of images/
experiments and store them in a database which could be cross referenced to a
library number.

Paul Stoodley
Center for Biofilm engineering