CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1995

Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 17:15:29 +0100
Dear Richard Thrift

I don't know of the existence of a listserver for quantitative ion imaging,
but it is a very constructive idea. However, I wonder if it might equally be
applicable within the confocal list server. We would certainly be glad to
contribute, and I could look at the possibility of setting up such a list
server on our computing facility.

Regarding hardware and software, several such systems exist. The one we have
used here and which is also used by a number of other labs employs a cooled
CCD detector, a very fast multiwavelength (8 position) filter changer and
has excellent related software and PC-based hardware. It is called Miracal
and is quite inexpensive. It is made by Life Science Resources (Tel
44-1223-845836; Fax 44-1223-840342; Email 100331.57 @compuserve.com). I
think that Universal Imaging in the USA and Applied Imaging in the UK also
have quite good systems (Metafluor and Quanticell respectively) based on
intensified CCD. In addition, several of the confocal manufacturers are
introducing or have introduced specific ion imaging software modules (Noran,
Leica, BioRad - maybe others I don't know about). These tend to be more
expensive of course than straight CCD-based systems, but they may offer
other advantages of course. Another issue is the unfortunate shortage of
ratiometric ion sensitive probes appropriate to available laser wavelengths,
but there are certain strategies becoming available to circumvent such
problems.

Dr. W.T. Mason
Laboratory of Neural and Secretory Signalling
Babraham Institute
Babraham, Cambridge   CB2  4AT
United Kingdom
Tel 44-1223-832312  Ext 514