CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1995

From:
Danny Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 09:11:57 +1000
Jim Newberry <[log in to unmask]> writes
>We also use the Phaser 440 and have been pretty happy with it. Since blues
>are often hard to calibrate on hardcopy, we like the 440's "Simulate
>Display" feature that is intended to create a similar blue to what you see
>on the computer screen. The media is expensive, but we're happy with the
>results.
I was a little surprised that Tektronix didn't make the range of colour
corrections a user-selectable feature in the PPD file, but it didn't take
much to add them. That means you can select between them on a job by job
basis on PPD-capable printer drivers, eg LaserWriter 8.x on the Mac and
Adobe's equivalent driver for Windows. In the case of LW8 you get to choose
from a colour correction menu on the Options part of the print dialog,
underneath the PostScript Errors popup.

Of course colour correction can only do so much when the printer simply
does not have the range of colours that a monitor has. Dye-subs are
particularly bad at blues and greens aren't that great either.

cheers,
Danny Thomas  ([log in to unmask])