CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1996

From:
Paul Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 08:08:47 -0800
The problem as I have heard it, is that all hard disk have an internal
procedure called thermal recalibration(TR). This, I believe, is a
method of allowing the drive to make servo changes to compensate for
changes in clearances as the result the thermal expansion/contraction as
the drive is used. Some drives (AV drives) are smart about when they
perform TR so that they don't recalibrate in the middle of accessing
files. Other drives perform TR whenever they feel like it. If TR occurs
while transfering files to a CD and the CD-R does not have sufficient
buffer capacity to permit continuous writing to the disk, the session
will fail. Consequently, the speed of the disk, the TR, the transfer
rate, the buffer size, and the speed of the CD-R have to all be checked
to assure that buffer under-run does not occur.

My $0.02 worth.

Paul Goodwin
Image Analysis Lab
FHCRC, Seattle, WA