CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1996

From:
Computer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 15:01:44 -0800
> >I am hoping to use a confocal to determine blood flow through an artery/vein
> >with a goretex site. A small site of the artery is being removed and goretex
> >tubing used to replace the dissected region. The artery is very close to the
> >surface of the skin in the ear.
> >
> >I would like to know if anyone has techniques and/or suggestions of the most
> >applicable dyes that may be useful for this experiment. It is important the
> >dye is vital, as the experiment will be in vivo. It will be possible to
block
> >the artery for a short time (or time intervals) to stop blood flow for
> >measurements??
> >
> >Currently using an Optiscan LSCM.
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >TIM
> >
> >---------------------------------------------
> >The Microsearch Foundation of Australia
> >Name: Tim Cushway
> >E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> >
> >Date: 01/29/96
> >Time: 11:12:08

You could try using fluorescent latex microspheres.  Introduce these
into the blood stream and watch them circulate.  This is a widely used
method for monitoring regional blood flow and you could probably adapt
it to you system.
Fluorescein like latex particles would give the best signal under most
standard confocals.

Ian