CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1996

From:
Badri Roysam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:47:40 EDT
This comment is re: Tony Collin's question on getting colors to come
out consistently from the monitor to the printer.

First, check to see if you have a text anti-aliasing option.

Check if there is any color sync software on your computer. For example,
apple computers come with something with that name. If not,
you have to bite the bullet. Here is my simple
and approximate, yet foolproof method to do so. It costs you one extra
printout. I like this approach when I have a deadline to meet and not
in the mood to experiment with fancy approaches.

Step 1 : Print out a copy of your image (..comes out looking `awful`). You must
        have already done this step :)

Step 2: Adjust your computer monitor till it looks exactly like your
       'awful' picture produced in step 1. Usually, you just have to dim it.
        This step effectively calibrates
        your monitor to the printer..
        On some computers (e.g. Power macs, one can save
        and restore monitor settings in software).

Step 3: Now adjust the settings like color maps, gamma levels etc. from within
        your image viewer software so that it comes out looking `right'
        on your monitor.

Step 4: Print out your image.

Badri Roysam