CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1996

From:
Paul Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 12:35:49 -0700
Very strange. In our hands, paraformaldehyde kills cells very quickly
which is generally all that is needed for PI to enter the cells (it is
often used as a dead cell indicator). Overnight in PI seems pretty long.
What concentration are you using?

The ethanol stuff I've never tried but I guess I would worry about DNA
precipitation with ethanol. What concentration are you using. Also, PI
does stain nucleoli intensly. It also stains RNA. In fact, any double
stranded nucleic acid is likely to get stained, which could explain the
cytoplasm.

Paul Goodwin
Image Analysis Lab
FHCRC, Seattle, WA