CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1996

Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:27:18 +1000
>Dear list, I wonder if you can help me. I am trying to measure, using
>fluoresent dyes and confocal microscopy, production of reactive oxygen
>species,in particular peroxides in smooth muscle cells. I have tried to use
>5'6'carboxy-2'7'dichlorofluorescein-diacetate di(acetoxymethyl ester) without
>any success. The problem is that the dye activates and saturates as soon as the
>fluorescent light hits the cells. It has been used successfully in a limited
>number of expreiments using FACS analysis. Does any one out there have any
>experience in this field which could help me. Kind regards Sean.
>Email [log in to unmask]

Dear Sean,

        See our paper in Cancer Research {Akhlynina, T, V., Rosenkranz, A.
A., Jans, D. A. & Sobolev, A. S. (1995) "Insulin-mediated intracellular
targeting enhances the photodynamic activity of chlorin e6" Cancer Res. 55,
1014-1019
(1995)} - we used confocal microscopy and 2'7'dichlorofluorescIN-diacetate,
which is deacetylated in living cells; it is non-fluorescent but becomes
fluorescent (the fluorescEIN form) upon reaction with reactive oxygen
species. Light does NOT convert the fluorescin form to fluorescein.

        David

             Dr. David A. Jans
       Nuclear Signalling Laboratory
Division of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
  John Curtin School of Medical Research
      Australian National University
GPO Box 334  Canberra  ACT  2601   AUSTRALIA
       Phone No.   <61> <6> 249 4188
         Fax No.   <61> <6> 249 0415
      e-mail No. [log in to unmask]

                    __    /