CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1996

From:
Peter Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 08:07:49 +1000
At 11:40 AM 29/07/96 +0200, you wrote:

>we have Leica CLSM Fluorovert here and would like to connect it to our inhouse
>data network. What we would like to do is to transfer the pictures directly
>to our Apple Macs for further processing. Leice offers something for around
>US$ 10,000 which seems quite a lot of money. Are there any other solutions?
>Is the Leica solution worth the money? Any hints and experiences are highly
>appreciated.

I think some of the previous responders to your question may not appreciate
the configuration of the CLSM. I assume your system has only the OS/9
computer without the PC used in the later TCS system to provide a Windows
interface.
If this is the case, then Leica appear to have quoted for a retrofit of the OS/9
NFS card and software (which in our experience is more expensive than if it
had been included in the original purchase).
We have a TCS system with the NFS card and have established a network
connection between the OS/9 system and a SUN running UNIX. An alternative is
to use an ethernet connection between the PC running the TCS and a second PC
or Mac to be used for off-line image analysis.

However, if you have no PC but need to talk directly to the CLSM OS/9 box,
you need the NFS card and software as quoted. In the longer term, it may be
worth considering the following options:

1. An upgrade of your CLSM to provide a PC interface. I am not sure how much
it would cost but in addition to giving you file transfer capabilities you
would have the Windows menus that are prefered by many users.

2. A PC version of the TCS will be available this year (August I believe)
and will replace the OS/9 control system. Leica are now quoting on this but
I am not sure of the upgrade path from the CLSM.

3. Other groups may be considering upgrades to the PC version of the TCS.
This will presumably leave some TCS systems and supporting PCs lying around
that CLSM owners could use. Again, there may be some reason I don't know
about that excludes recycling TCS hardware and software into CLSMs.

Maybe Leica can help us in this discussion.

4. Finally, a work-around would be to store your images on an optical disk
and then read to your analysis Mac. My guess is that the WORM disks are too
expensive and the cost of a second unit for reading the disks into a Mac
network would be prohibitive.

Hope this is helpful. If you need more info. I could ask our network
administrator to contact you.

Regards,

        Peter Harris

Dept. of Physiology