CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 1996

From:
Daniel Possin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 16:23:43 -0700
I'm sorry to say that I know nothing about the Fuji, Kodak or Codonics
printers.  However, we have a Tektronics Phaser 440 and find it the nearly
perfect answer for printing digital continous-tone "photographs".  Even
though it is "only" a 300 dpi printer, we have found this more than
adequate for printing publication quality photomicrographs.  It is far
better *for this purpose* than a 600 dpi Apple Color LaserWriter which we
also use.  If you wish to produce line drawings or color graphics
containing very fine lines, the Color LaserWriter is slightly superior.
Controlling the color output of the Phaser printer is also far easier
and more accurate than for the LaserWriter.  But, be aware that Phaser
output costs us about $2.75 per sheet and the Color LaserWriter less than
$0.09 per sheet.

I have heard that the Kodak (hearsay) is similar in output but places
somekind of protective coating over the image which is better but more
expensive.

That's all I know - you are on your own for the rest.  Good luck!

Dan

>We are trying to decide on which printer to purchase for final documentation
>of figures obtained by confocal or regular light microscopy and electron
>microscopy.  I'd like to hear a comparison between Fuji Pictrography printer
>and ink sublimation printers such as Kodak, Codonics and Tektronix Phaser 440.
>

>Thanks in advance for your precious time in sharing your experience with me.
>

>Enilza Espreafico
>Dept of Morphology
>FMRP-USP

  % Daniel Possin                       Voice: 206/ 543-7489             %
  % Dept. of Ophthalmology              FAX:   206/ 543-4414             %
  % Box 35 6485  -  RR849  HSB          Email: [log in to unmask] %
  % University of Washington                                             %
  % Seattle   WA   98195   USA                                           %
  % "The chinese expression 'cheung meng ba sui, gong hey fat choy' is   %
  %  equilvalent to Vulcan expression 'live long and prosper'.  It's a   %
  %  small universe and getting smaller everyday".                       %