CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1996

From:
Chris Tully <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:27:18 -0700
I reply to Rob Palmer-

It is possible to use a WinXX base computer without using ANY other MS
products.  I have not used a MS product, other than windows on my PC at
home for over 3 years now, and I'm quite happy to live that way.  I think
that if people take a critical look at competing programs, they will
usually find that non-MS vendors have more to offers (of course, you do
have to pay for those extras...).  I knid of doubt that MS will even try
for the Imaging market - they don't sell programs in the $2000 price
range, and to be honest, after seeing the first versions of most MS
products, how many of us would spend more then $50 on a new imaging
program from MS?

Chris Tully

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Robert J. Palmer Jr. wrote:

> Yes, I think this would be wonderful and I am a Mac (OS) evangelist, but
> you did not mention that this new OS will most likely NOT be backwards
> compatible - i.e., it will require completely new code from all programers.
>  The same is true for the Win95/Win NT hybrid that
> Bill-I-am-master-of-the-universe will soon bring down from Mount Washington
> on stone tablets.  And, what is worse, Microsoft's lock on the OS market
> will increase (read "worsen") because all MS applications will be written
> in the new code coincident with the OS's release.  Who cares if Photoshop
> is ready for the new Mac OS if that's the only program that runs on it?
> And don't think Adobe won't be developing for the Win OS at least as
> rapidly as they are developing for Mac.  Now all MS needs to do is get into
> the imaging software game and they can have the last bit of the science
> market that they don't completely control.  I think the only solution is a
> Win system for certain applications and a Mac for anything you can get to
> run on it.  Is this the fabled CHRP?
> Rob Palmer
> CEB/UT

Chris Tully                                |Work:   [log in to unmask]
Center for Controlled Chemical Delivery    |
University of Utah                         |Personal:     [log in to unmask]
(801) 581-6835           FAX (801) 581-7848|