CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1996

From:
Marilee Shelton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 1996 16:00:09 -0500
I need a new stain to help me relocate cells in my tissue slice that
were green indicator dye loaded after I have stained the slice with
antibodies.  I will try to fix the slices and stain them with propidium
iodide immediately after my experiment, on the confocal stage.  By saving
the image of PI stained cells, I can return to the same field after antibody
staining which washes away the green indicator dye.  The problem is that the
paraformaldehyde fixation followed by
PI staining requires way too much time on the confocal for each experiment.

Does anyone know of a another staining method that I can use to quickly
stain my slices while they are on the stage so that I can relocate the
same field?  The stain would need to
survive fixation and the antibody staining process which includes several
rinses.
A staining pattern that could be recorded with DIC or phase contrast
would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Marilee Shelton                                 CB#7365, FLOB, UNC-CH
[log in to unmask]                             Chapel Hill, NC  27510-7365
Department of Pharmacology                      Phone:  919-966-5035
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill        Fax:    919-966-5640