CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

From:
Neal Nicklaus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:16:05 -0500
Johannes is correct that there are no single mode UV fibers out there - or
at least as of a year ago no one claimed any soon to be available.

I know some guys at Bell Labs that tried making NSOM (Near Field Scanning
Optical Microscope) tips from UV grade fused silica about 1.5 years ago any
could not get it to work.

Certainly, you can buy single mode fibers for the visible.  But using them
in an NSOM fashion is painful for the uninitiated.  Since a cell is "large",
a far field focused optical probe sounds like a much better approach.

Neal Nicklaus
Senior Scientist
SEQ Limited

Voice:  609-452-6033 Ext. 13