CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

From:
Richard Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:54:56 -0800
I'm curious whether people have tried the suggestiens for
photobleaching protectants listed by Tsien & Waggoner on p. 272 of the
2nd edition of the Handbook.  Does crocetin, etretinate, carotene,
ascorbate, Trolox etc. work well, esp. in wet mounts?   I'm particularly
interested in protecting fluorescent probes in membranes (and oxygen
apparently is quite soluble in nonpolar environments).  Is etretinate
colored or fluorescent?

Can anyone guess what it is that works so well in the proprietary
formulations that have such impressive results? Vectashield, Prolong,
Fluorgard ?

Richard