CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

From:
Ian Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 10:23:10 GMT-0200
> Subject:       Volume measurement of organelles
..
> Our institute has recently been equipped with a confocal microscope
> (Zeiss LSM 410) and the Kontron KS400 image analysis system. I am
> working on a project where I have to measure the volume of the Golgi
> Apparatus.
>
> I am presently attempting to achieve this using the whole cell
> fluorescence image. Is it feasible to determine the volume by the
> intensity of the signal? If not, How else might the volume be
> determined?

The  Kontron KS400 series I believe has an optional module for
3D measurements, including volume. Perhaps this will be the best
avenue since you already have the operating system and hardware.
Working with small volumes (like golgi) is particularly difficult as
the signal from the out focus fluorescence will more critically
affect the measurements rhan with a larger object. You need to pay
special attention to optimising the golgi stain {perhaps others can
advise better here].

Also take a look the recent paper:
Surface:vloume relationship in cardiac myocytes studied with
confocal microscopy....., by Satoh, Delbridge, Blatter and Bers;
Biophys J. 70:1494-1504.

Dr Ian Harper
Experimental Biology Programme
Medical Research Council
PO Box 19070              Tel: 027-21-938 0347
Tygerberg 7505            Fax: 027-21-938 0456
South Africa
Internet: [log in to unmask]

Microscopy Society of Southern Africa
           Web Page at