CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1997

From:
Stefaan De Smedt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:18:31 +0200
Thanks for your comments,

I agree more details on our biopolymer matrix & instrumentation are useful
to specify my question.

The matrix we are studying is lung sputum from cystic fibrosis patients
which mainly consist of water & electrolytes (physiological conditions, pH
around 7) and the following compounds:

        Anionic DNA,
        Glycoproteins (also bearing anionic chrages due to the sulphated
suchars and           and sialic acid residues)
        Glycolipids (lipids bound on the glycoproteins) and phospholipids
(like         phosphatidylcholine)

These are not really located in separated compartiments (as might exist
inside cells.) However, we expect that they are not homogeneously
distributed in the sputum. They might be present as "clumps" of DNA,
glycoproteins, ... heterogeneously distributed in the sputum.

My aim is to stain specifically those compounds: DNA in one experiment, the
glycoproteins in another experiment, and so on.

The presence of many anionic species (DNA, glycoproteins, sometimes also
alginates from the glycocalix of bacteria in the sputum) might prevent to
specifically stain the compounds. I wonder which stains are the most
suitable to do so?

The instrument we will use is the BIO-Rad MRC1024 (UV + visible laser
light).

Thanks for your help,

Stefaan de smedt, UNIV Gent