CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1997

Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 23:20:12 -0400
We have a View Image feature on our InSight and Ultima software which allows
the user to tag any number of images then have them displayed (with filename
if needed) as a matrix of mini images.  You can click on any thumbnail image
to zoom it to full size, or minimize it again.  You can also add a grid
around each image, a scale bar, and a title, to turn a small number of
pertinent images into a figure for printing to paper or 35mm film.  By
choosing the right sub-set of files, this feature can be used for finding the
best images, or for summerizing a session's work on a single video print,
which can then be pasted into the good old lab notebook.

Crossover compensation is a menu item in our image analysis software.  The
user can either run a set of controls, stained for individual fluorophores,
to compile an .xvr file for automatic correction.  Or you can manually type
in percentage crossover values for each channel combination.  The manual way
is easiest for beautifying an image, whereas the control way is necessary for
quantitation.

And speaking of noble confocal manufacturers, our Meridian/TR software has a
notes field built in to every experiment file.  When running a Z-series or
kinetics series, the user can type in notes about what is seen on the screen
as the experiment progresses.  These notes remain with the data set, but can
easily be extracted as a text file, and pasted into a lab notebook...

David Carter
Meridian Instruments
We Have The Technology
2310 Science Parkway