CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1997

From:
Tom Donnelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:53:01 -0700
At 12:06 PM 7/23/97 -0700, you wrote:
>We are doing this for both confocal and deconvolution images. We write to
>the CD in ISO9660 format. Aside from the fact that DOS/Win has a hard time
>with long file names, we have had no problems. We currently have over 140
>CD's recorded this way. We have done it with a Pinnacle drive on a Mac and
>more recently with a Yamaha drive on an SGI. We usually do not do
>multisession disc because there does not seem to be as much
>standardization to it, that is, there may be more problems reading a
>multisession disc on different machines. The disc are about $4.50 in lots
>of >100. That is about $7.50/GB and to add another reader cost about $100
>bucks as opposed to having to buy another Panasonic optical drive for,
>what, about $500. The other advantage is that there is no dependence on
>vendors to continue to support the drive. We have 50 GB on optical disk as
>well. When Sun changed the OS to Solaris 2.5.1, Artecon had to change
>their driver, which then meant that none of the old disk were readable. So
>we had to assemble an old Sun to run the old OS to run the old driver so
>that we can get the files off of the archive media. I would highly
>recommend only using a media/format that is system independent and
>CDR/ISO9660 is the best that we have found.
>
>My $2X10E-02 worth.

_____

>Paul Goodwin
>Instrumentation Laboratory
>FHCRC, Seattle, WA

Not to re-open this string but we use a good number of Recordable CD's for
both archiving and distribution, and have found a very reasonable vendor for
blank CD's that might be of interest.

Diversified Systems Group, Inc.
http://www.dsgi.com

Pardon me if this is a duplicate but it appears the first copy bounced off
the server.

Tom

Tom Donnelly                       425-313-4549 tel
DeltaVision Systems                425-557-1055 fax
Applied Precision, Inc.            [log in to unmask]
1040 12th Ave. N.W.                Web Site: http://www.api.com
Issaquah, WA 98027-8929