CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1997

From:
Fatima Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:58:00 -0600
Dear Dr. Prado:

I am extremely keen on attending the International Symposium
on Biological Applications of Confocal Microscopy to be held
on 6-8 April 1998 in Brasil.

I was wondering if you could consider me for a travel fellowship.
My problem is that I am no longer a student, I received my Ph.D.
in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin in 1995,
and recently completed my post-doctoral fellowship at the
Harvard Medical School.

An integral component of my studies over the last seven years has involved
the use of state-of-art optical imaging techniques in conjunction with
digital image processing for quantification and visualization of biological
processes.
I have extensively employed confocal microscopy for both in-vivo
and in-vitro analysis of biological systems.

I evaluated microscale biotransport phenomena and cell injury in tissues,
Specifically, I developed and applied optical imaging and image analysis
techniques to quantitate : (i) the volumetric alterations (in
three-dimensions; 3-D) occurring in pancreatic islets, in response to the
osmotic stresses imposed by cryoprotective additives, and (ii) tissue
viability, and the 3-D spatial distribution of damage within the islets in
response to specific cooling rates.

Further for my doctoral studies, I developed a technique to characterize
the angiogenesis process in islet grafts at the renal subcapsular site in
rats, using intra-vital confocal microscopy to achieve quantitative
measurements of the transient 3-D geometry of neovascular networks.

For my post-doctoral studies, I employed indirect immunofluorescence
imaging techniques in conjunction with FACS and confocal microscopy to
elucidate the spatial and temporal interactions of a genetically engineered
bacterial toxin with living cells.

Presently, I am employed as a Sr. Research Engineer at a Bioimaging Company,
specializing in imaging applications in cytogenetics.

The past years of formal education and my research in optical imaging
techniques, and image analysis have made me happily aware of a growing
sense of fascination and respect towards a career that genuinely brings out
the best in me, both in terms of application and results.

I conceive that attending the Symposium on biological applications in
confocal microscopy  will highly impact my career goals.  The meeting
should provide an excellent environment for broadening my professional and
personal skills.  The symposium will provide a forum to participate in
stimulating group discussions with my peers and fellow students, and the
industrial exhibits will present information on the latest technological
developments available for research.

I am extremely enthusiastic about attending the symposium.  However,
at this juncture in my career it is extremely difficult for me to sequester
any financial support to attend the meeting.  I sincerely hope that my
qualifications and interests may make me eligible for a travel grant.

I am attaching my CV below for your perusal.  Please let me know if I can
provide any additional information.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your attention.
Fatima Merchant.

 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>  Fatima Merchant, Ph.D.  Senior Research Engineer  Perceptive Scientific Instruments, Inc.  2525 South Shore Blvd., Suite 100  League City, Texas 77573  Telephone: (281) 334-3027 Ext: 219  Toll Free: (800) 288-3027  Facsimile: (281) 538-2222  Email: [log in to unmask]  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>