CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 1998

From:
"Garfield, Susan (NCI)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:45:33 -0400
I am curious if you received any response to your questions concerning H2DCFDA
and CM-H2DCFDA.  We have been using H2DCFDA in both human and murine cell lines
to detect ROS.  One of the chemicals used to pretreat the cells is dissolved in
DMSO and we have also noticed an increase in fluorescence due to increases in
DMSO concentration.  Our problem has been the high amount of variability in
fluorescence intensity (some cells very fluorescent, others with no
fluorescence).  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to deal with this
variability?  We are trying to measure increases in ROS in response to the
chemical treatment.  We have a Bio-rad MRC1024 with an upright Nikon optiphot.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Susan Garfield
Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis
Division of Basic Sciences
National Cancer Institute, NIH
Building 37, Room 3C28
37 Convent Drive MSC4255