CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1998

From:
Mario Moronne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 09:46:02 -0800
Guillaume,

First, you should provide additional information, in particular which
microscope are you using? That aside, the whole point of confocal is that
you can optically section without deconvolution. However, if you use a
large pin hole (iris setting on a BioRad, e.g.) then deconvolution can be a
useful tool allowing you to acquire higher photon counts (hence lower
noise) while still getting good optical sectioning. However, I am of the
opinion that you must calibrate the x-y-z-axes point spread function for
each iris setting and lens that you use so that an accurate deconvolution
can be calculated. This can be done with a sample using small 100 nm
fluorescent beads.

>Hallo
>I m a young french student, and I would like know
>if it's necessary to make every time a deconvolution when
>I work on confocal microscopy,  if yes
>what is the common way to be sure of confocal data?
>Thank you
>
>Guillaume FAGOT
>8 Rue Valmy
>51500 Rilly la montagne
>FRANCE
>Tél : 03 26 03 40 60

Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.
Life and Material Science Div.  M/S 6-2100
University of California
Berkeley Lab
1 Cyclotron Rd.
Berkeley, CA
94720

ph (510) 486-4236
FAX (510) 486-5664
[log in to unmask]  or [log in to unmask]