CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1998

From:
Brett Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:59:15 -0600
One source that you might want to check for KrAr lasers is Laser Physics.
They have a web site at www.laserphysics.com and have worked out very well
in the past for us. We are not on the Bio-Rad service contract so we were
forced to find our own vendor for laser replacements. One other thing you
might want to consider is that those laser tubes that are in the Bio-Rad ILT
cased lasers can be re-charged one time after you purchased a new laser
tube, at a considerably less cost than a new tube replacement. It also takes
a lot less time ~ 2 weeks to get the tube re-charged and sent back whereas,
a new tube takes a month or more for production. I was told the last time I
had the tube
re-charged (about a year ago) that you can always call ahead a tag a tube in
production for yourself so that when the current one fails, your turn around
time can be less than a couple weeks for a new tube replacement. Last year
the re-charge cost was $2500.00 and to purchase a new KrAr tube cost
$4500.00.

Hope this helps.

Brett Schroeder - Biomedical Engineer
Manager, Imaging Core Facility
Dept. of Cell Biology, Neurobiology & Anatomy
Medical College of Wisconsin
PHONE: (414)456-8504
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]